By way of background, the modern ecumenical movement began to take shape as the 19th century drew to a close, and initiatives among students and between Church mission agencies provided the basis for the formation of the Australian Student Christian Movement in 1896 and the National Missionary Council, which was formed in 1926. Subsequently, the Australian Committee for the World Council of Churches was formed in 1946 and this body developed into the Australian Council of Churches, and then finally, the National Council of Churches in Australia was formed in 1994.
History tells us that the movement for Christian unity in Australia was initially an Anglican and Protestant based movement, with the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Churches joining in strength, during the 1960s and 70s. In relation to the Catholic Church, the second Vatican Council opened up exciting opportunities for relationships with other Churches, and the transition to the National Council of Churches in Australia in 1994 saw the Catholic Church become a full participant in Australia’s national ecumenical body.
The NCCA works in collaboration with state ecumenical councils around Australia, and is an associate council of the World Council of Churches, a member of the Christian Conference of Asia and a partner of other national ecumenical bodies throughout the world, and the Coffs Harbour Council of Churches looks forward to the opportunity for the shared fulfilment of the mission of common witness, proclamation and service, to the glory of the one God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.”
The Coffs Harbour Council of Churches includes,